1 Hartford seventh grader dies after being uncovered to fentanyl | Connecticut Information

HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) – A 13 year-old Hartford boy has died after he overdosed on fentanyl on the Sports activities and Medical Sciences Academy.

Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin made the next assertion:

Our metropolis grieves for this little one misplaced, for his family members, his associates, his academics, and all the SMSA household.  We nonetheless have a lot to be taught concerning the circumstances of this tragedy, and about how a toddler had entry to such a stunning amount of such lethal medication, and our police dept. will proceed their investigation and search to carry accountable the adults who in the end are answerable for this little one’s demise. Within the meantime, our prayers are with everybody touched by this loss, and we are going to do all the pieces we will to assist the SMSA group.

On Thursday, round 10:45 a.m. three seventh graders have been rushed to the hospital after being uncovered to fentanyl at college.

The Sports activities and Medical Sciences Academy is a magnet faculty in Hartford, with about 600 college students.

Hartford firefighters mentioned they acquired a report that three college students overdosed on the faculty.






One of many college students, a 13-year-old boy, was unconscious.

“Preliminary reviews point out that CPR was initiated by the college nurse on one scholar and HFD personnel took over performing CPR till relieved by responding medics,” mentioned Mario Oquendo Jr., public info officer, Hartford Fireplace Division. “Rhythm returned for that scholar and CPR was stopped.”

It is believed that scholar was in a classroom after which went to the health club.

All three college students have been transported to the Connecticut Youngsters’s Medical Middle.

The 13-year-old seventh grader is in grave situation after officers say he ingested and overdosed on fentanyl.

Two different college students, additionally seventh graders, solely complained of dizziness after being uncovered to fentanyl and are being monitored on the hospital.

Relations have been notified.

Officers initially mentioned a instructor was additionally transported to Hartford Hospital, however later mentioned that she was “extremely upset about what she witnessed” and was handled on the faculty.

The varsity was positioned in a code yellow. Which means college students have to remain in place.

Drug sniffing canine went by way of the constructing and extra baggage of fentanyl have been present in two school rooms and the health club.

Police imagine a scholar introduced the medication to the college. Investigators are nonetheless attempting to determine if the 2 different college students ingested fentanyl.

Mayor Luke Bronin had a robust message for fogeys.

“That is yet one more lesson that fentanyl is a poison, these medication are a poison. Please, in case you are a guardian, have that robust dialog along with your little one tonight. If anybody presents, suggests, that they experiment with, ingest some substance that they assume is a drug, they do not know what it’s, do not do it, keep a mile away, and for God’s sake, please report it so we will attempt to shield your little one, their associates, all the pieces,” Bronin mentioned.

College students and employees have been dismissed after their footwear have been decontaminated with bleach and different chemical compounds.

As a result of police are nonetheless unsure what else was within the drug, they needed to deal with it as a worst case state of affairs.

“I’m shocked about what’s happening. I simply don’t perceive how fentanyl reaches the colleges so it is heartbreaking to know they have been involved with it,” one guardian mentioned.

The CDC says some fentanyl is accepted to deal with ache, whereas others are illegally made. All sorts identified to be abused and resulting in demise.

Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin, together with Hartford Police and Public College officers, addressed the doable the overdoses at a neighborhood faculty Thursday.






Right here in Connecticut, information exhibits drug overdose deaths have spiked.

From January to November 2021, there have been greater than 1,200 individuals useless.

“When it begins to occur to kids, that is not good for enterprise, so you will notice an exaggeration of efforts to reply, which you hate to say, however one thing dangerous has to occur for individuals to take their head out of the sand,” Mark Jenkins, the chief director of the Connecticut Hurt Discount Alliance, says.

It occurred on the Sports activities and Medical Sciences Academy on Huyshope Avenue round 10:45 a.m.






Mark offers with overdose circumstances day-after-day and says persons are afraid to speak concerning the assist that is on the market, like Narcan, a medication that may quickly reverse an opioid overdose, one thing Jenkins says must be in faculties and will have been used on the seventh grader.

“It falls out. It goes simply into your hand like that, into your nostril and push it, so now I simply ingested a dose of this. I am not going to fall over. I inform individuals, ‘Why would I do this? Are you an fool?’, is to point out you no hurt, no foul,” added Jenkins.

Three seventh graders from Hartford have been rushed to the hospital after apparently overdosing at college Thursday.






Jenkins says native and state officers want to deal with the overdose scenario, as a result of it is not simply an city subject.

Jenkins says you attain out to his group if you need to coach or study overdose prevention.

Police are actually searching for whoever introduced the substance to the college. No arrests have been made but.

Hartford police and firefighters mentioned they responded to the Sports activities and Medical Sciences Academy on Huyshope Avenue on Thursday morning.






Native and state officers have been on scene for a number of hours and they’re nonetheless analyzing to see what else was is within the fentanyl.

In a letter to households, Principal Alison Giuliano mentioned that every one lessons at SMSA are cancelled and the college will probably be closed Friday.

A number of college students seem to have overdosed on one thing at a college.






College social staff and counselors will probably be obtainable both nearly through Google Meet or in-person on the Kinsella Magnet College of Performing Arts from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. tomorrow.

Cellular Psychiatric Disaster Providers is accessible for college kids. SMSA group members can attain out to them by calling 211.

Refresh this web page and watch Eyewitness Information for updates.