Rise & Shine! I’m Scott Barrett, managing editor for The Day by day Information, and as we speak is Aug. 15, the 227th day of the yr — 138 days stay in 2022. On this present day in 1969, the Woodstock Music and Artwork Honest opened in Bethel, New York. Roughly 400,000 individuals attended the famed three-day occasion.
Right here & Now
• A lot of residents in Portsmouth have made their emotions identified about proposed photo voltaic arrays. Merely put, they do not need them. But when city officers heed the calls for of the individuals in crafting an ordinance, may these selections have unintended penalties on long-standing companies, particularly farms on the town?
Whereas Siobahn Thurston, proprietor of the Almy-Thurston Farm on Union Street, understands the place the residents are coming from, she spoke to Day by day Information reporter Zane Wolfang in regards to the financial strain on native farmers and identified the challenges for farmers attempting to make their land viable within the trendy economic system.
“When individuals inform me, ‘We don’t need photo voltaic,’ I get it, however don’t inform me I can’t diversify,” she mentioned. “Proper now, I’ve about eight acres that aren’t doing something, and I don’t see anyone dashing to choose my blueberries or purchase my timber.”
You may learn this eye-opening story right here.
• Regardless of its popularity as a historic time capsule, town of Newport has gone by many adjustments because it was first settled in 1639. Reporter Savana Dunning lately fell down a proverbial rabbit gap, sifting by metropolis maps accessible on-line and on the Newport Public Library to see a few of the most vital adjustments. In case you’re a historical past buff, you may wish to learn this piece.
• As the supply of workforce housing for residents in Newport and Bristol counties continues to shrink, the Higher Newport Chamber of Commerce has began finding out methods to deal with the problem for years to return. Savana Dunning has the story.
• Harp Donnelly IV, a longtime member of the Newport Fireplace Division who was elevated to chief in January, would be the grand marshal of the 67th Newport St. Patrick’s Day Parade in March 2023, the parade committee introduced Sunday.
• The general public is invited to be taught in regards to the Jamestown Group Farm tonight at 7 p.m. throughout a get-together on the Jamestown Golf Course. Refreshments shall be served. Be taught extra right here.
• The Middletown City Council will meet tonight, and whereas the docket is fairly gentle, there may be one fascinating merchandise — council member Terri Flynn has some questions in regards to the proposed Middletown Heart growth. Discover the total agenda beneath.
• Members of the Jamestown City Council, Planning Fee and Reasonably priced Housing Committee will take a discipline journey as we speak to tour a housing growth in East Greenwich.
• The Portsmouth-based band Moments Discover shall be rocking Sachuest Seashore tonight in the course of the Middletown Seashore Live performance Collection. Present begins at 6 p.m.
• Jim McGaw, my pal on the Portsmouth Instances, is reporting the Escobar Farm fireworks show at the moment are scheduled for the night time of Sept. 3.
• Good luck to all the highschool student-athletes collaborating in fall sports activities. Right now marks the primary official day of follow. On a associated be aware, we’re a few week away from bringing you the very best native highschool sports activities protection you may discover anyplace. Keep tuned!
Love opening Rise & Shine!, Newport County’s No. 1 e mail morning publication? Assist assist this effort be turning into a Day by day Information digital subscriber for as little as $1. Click on right here to get began.
Born as we speak
Jennifer Lawrence (actress), 32
Joe Jonas (musician), 33
Ben Affleck (actor), 50
Anthony Anderson (actor), 52
Debra Messing (actress), 54
Low tides: 4:21 a.m., 4:48 p.m.
Excessive tides: 11:08 a.m., 11:30 p.m.
Dawn: 5:52 a.m. Sundown: 7:46 p.m.
Water temperature: 71.4 levels.
City Council, 6:30 p.m.
Harbor Fee, 7 p.m.
Library Trustees, 7 p.m.
City Council, 3 p.m.
Right now is …
World Greatness Day
Nationwide Again to Faculty Prep Day
Nationwide Lemon Meringue Pie Day
The place in Newport County?
The Artillery Firm of Newport armory constructing, which dates again to 1835, was added to the Nationwide Register of Historic Locations in 1972. It now serves as a museum. Kudos to Larry Davis, Richard Hunt, Mary Beth Smith, Joan Siegrist, Rita Cooney Brown, David Behan, Len Panaggio, Robb Canning, Jason Dunn, Eileen Rice and Evan Smith, all of whom accurately recognized the spot.
Bought a information tip, story concept or simply wish to drop me a line? Do not be a stranger. Ship an e mail to [email protected]
This text initially appeared on Newport Day by day Information: Rise & Shine! Your Newport County information for Aug. 15, 2022